- Messages linked to scripture references in-App for you to read. Uses the World English Bible (WEB).
- Stations of the Cross are highlighted by pictures from Amy Welborn and Michael Dubruiel’s book, “John Paul II’s Biblical Way of the Cross.”
- A map is sometimes referenced to give you a sense of space as well as time.
- Timeline allows you to look at the messages ahead of time. If you want to evaluate the App to decide whether to recommend it, just install the app, and look at the Timeline. If you don't like it, just uninstall the App. Hey, it's free, what do you have to lose? What do you have to gain!
- Messages lead into Holy week, from Jesus’ visits to Lazarus’s house, through Palm Sunday to Resurrection Sunday.
- Occasional additional messages from Christ’s appearances, Ascension and Pentecost.
- Occasional messages from the other Biblical Feasts which Jesus celebrated. In a sense, the story of next year's App begins with the Jewish "new year" around September. We start again tracing Jesus' steps toward Calvary.
- The order and timing of Passion events is generally based on The NIV Harmony of the Gospels by Thomas and Gundry, 1988 revision.
- Timing discrepancies between Easter and Passover are handled by following the Western Easter timeframe. Why? Because the Western Church's practice of tying the Christ events to Easter was done, not to accurately follow the Hebrew Calendar, but rather to commemorate the events themselves on days that suited the Gregorian Calendar. Therefore, for this App, the obvious timing differences are arbitrated to enable Western users to enter into the Passion Story over the course of the traditional “Easter” period.
- Whilst the Feasts from Passover to Pentecost are tied to the Western church calendar, the later Feasts are tied to the Hebrew calendar since these do not appear on the Gregorian Calendar.
- Your Timezone settings on your iPhone determine when the alerts arrive.
- Works offline because the messages are virtual and in-App. The App uploads the notifications into your phone. Once they are loaded, you will be alerted even if the app is not "on."
- The alert sound is Tri-tone, and vibrates if on silent mode.
- Built by PROJIX Pty Ltd, PO Box 1564, South Perth, WA, 6957.
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 5.1 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
- Concept by Geoff Westlake, OAC Ministries WA, copyright 2013. Please forward it for use by anyone, but profiteering and re-wording is not allowed. OACM is a fully-audited, faith-support, not-for-profit organisation. You may donate here towards our ongoing Outreach And Church Ministries in Western Australia.
On Google Play, search “Live with Christ – Easter App.” Looks like it does a similar thing (I’d be interested to hear from Android and iPhone users who compared experiences this Easter.)
Another option in Australia is to text "Holy" to 0488 222 777 for the Bible Society's text based version with about 7 messages a day.